September 13, 2015 Speaker: Don Reigstad
Topic: Spiritual Growth Passage: John 10:1–10:4, Luke 9:23, John 21:15–21:19
Disciple-Making Church - Summer 2015 Series
September 13, 2015 - Following Jesus, John 10:1-4; Luke 9:23; John 21:15-19
Introduction: Bullseye! Josh hit the bullseye - on the third try (Because I asked him to miss on the first two tries.) If anyone in the group has tried archery, describe your experience. Can you relate it to a business missing the bullseye? How about church?
Read Matthew 28:18-20,
Read Matthew 4:19. What three characteristics of a disciple can be extrapolated (new word? “inferred”) from this text?
What struck you from Mike’s life story?
A. Knowing His Voice, Read John 10:1-4 (or more if you wish)
- Do you ever “hear voices”? Describe
- How do you discern between “bad voices”, “good voices” and “God’s voice”?
- Do you agree with the phrases: “Guilt with Grace” and “Conviction with Compassion”? What do you agree with, or disagree with?
- Can you describe a time when you assumed something was God’s voice but in reality it was the devil’s voice?
- What can you do in your environment, or within your mind to reduce the world’s decibels and thereby better hear God’s voice?
B. Denying Yourself, Read Luke 9:23
- The world says a lot about “self”. What are some of the phrases about self that come to mind?
- Describe a time when you said “Yes” to someone when you really wanted to say “No.”
- Why is it so hard to draw boundaries in relationships?
- Respond to the statement: “It is easy to say ‘Yes’ to God; the hard part is that often to say ‘Yes’ to God we must say ‘No’ to ourselves.”
- What might God be calling you to say “No” to in your life right now?
C. Surrendering to His Love, Read John 21:15-19
- Describe a time when you ‘gave up’ with another in a struggle. (Kids, spouse, parents, etc.)
- How is ‘giving up’ to God different from that?
- Jesus was asking Peter to ‘give up’ to Peter’s own future crucifixion. How is that surrender to ‘love’?
- Do you have an example of “surrendering” to God’s love?
Conclusion: What’s the Holy Spirit urging you to “take away” from this study?