Touching God For Others
January 25, 2016 Speaker: Don Reigstad
Intro: Ever been in a situation where you didn’t “have a prayer”?
Who in your circle of acquaintances might not “have a prayer”? Who among your “loved ones” is not where you think they should be spiritually?
A. “For this reason” - “faith in the Lord Jesus” - Is this not your desire for any of the above?
1. Repent. (Literally, “change the mind”.) Read Mark 6:12; Acts 2:38; Acts 3:19; 2 Cor. 7:9-10. How would you describe the importance of repentance to salvation? Have you ever known someone to teach a salvation in a way that downplays repentance? What might be the result of such?
2. Believe. (“Place your trust in.”) Read Quote John 3:16; John 6:29; Acts 16:31; Romans 10:9. Since believing includes both an academic aspect and an experiential aspect, give an example from everyday life of believing something “in your head” but not “in your heart”.
3. Read Ephesians 2:8-9. What do you think is “the gift of God”?
B. Pray for an “eye-opening experience”. (vv. 17-18) What kind of experience led you to faith in Jesus? (Please, each one share.) How much of it was academic vs. experiential? Why are both necessary?
“That you may know…”
1. “…the hope to which He has called you…” This past week a letter went out to members and those considered by our office as “regular attenders” that the elders have unanimously approved the name unamimously recommended to them by a task force to become our new name: Living Hope. While no name is perfect, all involved like that this name comes directly out of 1 Peter 1:3. What are some of the “dead hopes” that people grope for? What is the event in history that Peter points to when he uses the phrase “living hope”? Describe a time when this living hope became more than academic for you.
2. “…the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints…” What is your response to the idea that you are actually a part of the inheritance the Almighty King gives to his Prince? Mission folks like the statement: “The resources for the harvest are in the harvest.” What do you like/not like about this statement?
3. “…the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe…” The apparent redundancy of descriptive modifiers suggests what? What is the difference between “knowing this in your head” and “knowing this in life”? Kyle Idleman has recently come out with a new book called, “The End of Me”. Can you describe a time when you came to the “end” of yourself and then discovered the power of God?
Who, because of you, “has a prayer”? Pray for these as you close tonight.